the shaman

life of a troll shaman inside and outside world of warcraft...

leaderboard

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Linux Mint 8 "Helena"

Helena has been released Nov. 28, 2009. And I am quite tempted to try it, this will be the first time I'm going to test Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu, so far the easiest linux distro I've tried and tested.

Based on GNU/Debian Linux, what I like about this type of distro is the easiest way to get what you need, in terms of software, or plugins, a mirror based on my country that makes downloading lightning fast.



The easy way to get your Video card drivers to enable 3d acceleration. Now, Ubuntu's vision is to get linux to the microsoft populae by offering easy to use, user friendly linux to boot. Back in the days, that installing and having your desktop to work, take hours. With Ubuntu, its easier.

With Linux Mint, since it is based from Ubuntu, You get all the flicks of Ubuntu with a dash of everyday needed plugins to run your daily things, like adobe flash, etc. Which makes things more easier. Imagine a distro that you can install then watch youtube videos right out of the box? nice indeed, watch dvd? codecs already pre-installed. =D

Currently I'm on Fedora 12 on my main, but I am looking forward to try this Linux Mint, and perhaps lets see what I can say more about Mint.

3 comments:

lilsask13 said...

I'm currently a linux noob, but have been playing with both ubuntu 9.10 Karmic and Helena. I'm trying to find any info I can on where to get and how to use wine with Helena. Would appreciate any help you can give. Thnx

Unknown said...

sorry had a long time to notice any comment and respond, with regards to your wine question. I am using wine to run world of warcraft.

You can use the default package manager, synaptics or sudo apt-get method.

I prefer synaptics. type in wine, then it will help you install it.

once installed, including the dependencies.

run winecfg at the terminal console. it will generate your first config.

Unknown said...

so far, since i installed this 32-bit helena, i am still using it to date. the 64-bit was already released but since my system is stable, I haven't tried touching it since.=D

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Adbox

2013_06_03_AFF_Mobiles_300x250

My Visitors