the shaman

life of a troll shaman inside and outside world of warcraft...

leaderboard

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Jolicloud 1.0 First Look

The shaman came across Jolicloud 1.0 thru rinaz.net's blog post about it. I grabbed a copy thru jolicloud's site and tested the live cd session, then after a few testing and tweaking, decided to replace the currently installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the shaman's MSI wind U100 Plus.

I haven't tried the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I think it is in the same category, with a rather different approach. Booting in to the system and logging in you will be asked if you are connected to the internet, then declare it by clicking "I'm already online" button.

Oops, I forgot to install image-magick
The desktop is over-run by the jolicloud launcher, and by default the desktop couldn't be seen. Wallpaper is black, I tried to replace it, by going to the appearance tool, and replaced the wallpaper. On the app menu, you can't see the wallpaper either, next is the console. I love the terminal, I feel incomplete without it. I hit alt-F2 to launch an application and typed in "terminal." The terminal app launched maximized on the desktop. I enabled the transparency, so there. I finally get to see the desktop.

I find jolicloud very nice, and it will be a good operating system for online use heavily, but for offline mode I am not sure and haven't figured out how. Since at login the system connects or searched for

This is where you can access local files

internet connection. So if you use a netbook on offline use, there will be cases that you wont be able to use the OS. After seing other blogger's say on jolicloud pre-beta version. It seems that the gnome menu is available,  but with the version 1.0 I can't find any access to it, or maybe limited to. Maybe an advance tweaking will do make it available.

Good thing about linux when you have your home directory saved to a different partition is when you replace the whole system with a different flavor, you can always get your old configurations, settings and files. So if things didn't work out on my test with jolicloud I can easily get back to the old system by installing another fresh install and still have my configurations restored as before.

This post is my first look into jolicloud 1.0 will continue to use it for now and tell you more about my experience with this linux flavor in the following days.
Like social networking with other
joliclouders
The main menu launcher
The terminal with transparency and wallpaper underneath
The app installer



0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Adbox

2013_06_03_AFF_Mobiles_300x250

My Visitors