the shaman

life of a troll shaman inside and outside world of warcraft...

leaderboard

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Patch to Cataclysm and The Acer Restoration

Acer 5720G running Windows 7, patching
WoW backup on the external
500GB Drive
Patching World of Warcraft while taking a break from programming and getting the Acer to get back in shape before 12.07.10.

The Shaman's Acer 5720G that encountered white screen of death, During the time I tried to troubleshoot the error. I tried compiling  my own kernel at the time. So as to suspect a software glitch or error have caused this.

That led the shaman out of the game. There are many instances that I tried to isolate the problem whenever I got the time. And numerous occasions It get's to narrow the issue from a broader spectrum. Since most LCD has slim chance of getting defective than the inverter circuit. And several signs that make me suspect issues with its graphics card.

The Acer which eversince was running linux since I got it, from linux mint, fedora and much longer with ubuntu, accross each updates. I have been playing world of warcraft on this rig thru wine.



The Laptop LCD display don't work. I had to use an external monitor since most live linux CD/DVDs when they reach the login or before the desktop loads up, It mirrors display between the primary display and the secondary display. Mirrored displays defaulted to 800x600 on both displays. The Acer's primary display is defective, rendering an 8bit graphics because of this issue, and mirrors it to my 20 inch widescreen LCD and returns an "out of range error." I can hear the system loads up fine, because you can hear the default login sound. Hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets you to tty1 terminal and displays fine on the external monitor.

Next occasion, I tried running Microsoft on it, because they handle external displays as single displays. On boot up, windows turns off the primary display and switches to the secondary. So display is okay and enabled me to install Windows 7 with no problems. Now the problem now is getting the right drivers, at Nvidia website, I downloaded the latest version of nvidia drivers for 8400M GS. Later found out that there have been issues with windows 7 and nvidia drivers. Another set of challenge for the Acer restoration. At the moment, the shaman is still looking for a workaround for this issue, until I can get some extra cash to buy a new 9600M GT (MXM-II Type Slot) for my Acer as an upgrade and LCD Inverter Unit. Let this be a temporary solution, much better than collecting space dusts. For the meantime I will use it for programming and software development purpose since video acceleration is disabled and renders the rig of its juicy goodness useless.

The MSI Wind on the other hand now runs Ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04 LTS, so far so good but occasionally experiencing random crashes from chromium and chrome browsers.


2 comments:

Brad Farless said...

I updated my nVidia G210M driver to the Verde 258.96 (I think that's the number) driver so I could stay current. What I found is that if I try to use the Firefox 4 beta with that driver, the video driver crashes constantly. It recovers, but it causes FF to turn into a white screen and I have to close it from the task bar and re open it. So, I stopped testing Firefox and went back to Google Chrome, which seems to work better.

So... you're getting ready to dive back into WoW huh? Good luck with that! I'm trying to avoid WoW. It got boring for me. If I ever get a kick to try to play that again, I play Runes of Magic instead, or some other free MMO. I don't have a lot of time to contribute to MMOs anymore.

Good luck getting that Acer up and running. It reminds me of my mom's laptop. Her LCD went out. The thing still works though, so as soon as I pick up an external LCD (don't know when that will be) I'll hook it up and see what I can do with it.

Unknown said...

yes i did try the nvidia 258 version, but i'm not luky yet. i can install any drier versions for my nvidia 8400m gs, but after restarting the laptop, it wont load correctly causing a rollback to the generic vga drivers.

hhe yes, been patching wow, but still don't have a rig to play it with. but will try to get back.

thanks brad, yes i will post later when i get a new graphics card for this, if i find and confirm it as defective. thats my problem with windows, device drivers. i think i lost the cd, since im using linux drivers i never worried about using or finding the right drivers.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Adbox

2013_06_03_AFF_Mobiles_300x250

My Visitors