the shaman

life of a troll shaman inside and outside world of warcraft...

leaderboard

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Shaman's Acer 5720G with Busted LCD

The shaman's gear, ACER 5720G has a busted LCD (no display) but the system overall is still good, has display using external monitor. I tried installing several Linux distro, but seems to have a garbled display. I have a doubt that the Nvidia 8400M GS might be busted or something.



Tried several times, but seem to have graphics glitches when running Xorg, or any LiveCD of Knoppix, Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu. I have began to wonder is it busted? On further research, I just found out, that the ACER has MXM Graphics Card slot. So we can purchase parts to get this thing back to shape. Over at mxm-upgrade.com they are supplying Graphics cards with MXM Type I, Type II, Type III, They also have links to specific Model upgrade process or walkthrough. I am planning to upgrade my graphics to Nvidia 9650M GT, and also LCD replacement at http://www.laptopscreen.com.

Once I get some spare funds I will start this project and post details on my progress so to those of you have similar problems with your laptops might benefit from this. You may subscribe to us to get the latest updates.

2 comments:

Brad Farless said...

I feel your pain on this one. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro that's sitting in my closet collecting dust. It needs a new fan and a new hard drive. When I took it in to get prices quoted, they wanted about 350 SGD (about 260 USD) to do the work on he fan alone. The fan only costs 87 USD off the Internet. I asked them to just sell me the fan, because I can do the work myself, but they refused, so I walked out.

I wound up buying a new laptop, a Lenovo Y450 Ideapad with Windows 7. It's nice man. I'm going to get my MBP fixed eventually and when I do I'll probably put Windows 7 on that too.

Just gotta wait for funds.

Unknown said...

yes, thats too bad, having another laptop that has hardware faster than what i am using right now got busted LCD, and showing signs of a defective graphics card. when i get some extra funds ill probably buy the LCD replacement and a new graphics card.

im using a netbook for the meantime.

regarding your macbook, since your here in the philippines, have you visited greenhills, san juan yet? you can buy a replacement harddrive, but the fan, im not sure, unless you can have a replacement that fits or same size that would be awesome.

you might as well try doing it by yourself, and have our friend google to get you some guides on how to do so. i find it much cheaper to buy the parts and do stuff yourself. =D

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Adbox

2013_06_03_AFF_Mobiles_300x250

My Visitors