the shaman

life of a troll shaman inside and outside world of warcraft...

leaderboard

Sunday, July 08, 2007

adrenaline of speed

1994 or 1993, the year where the first batch of Japan made Honda civics appeared to the general populace of the Philippines. During this time, the SLEX (South Luzon Expressway) has no speed limit, even though there are part of the road appeared a sign of speed limits, cars or cages are not much crowded in roads around. These were the days where you can speed to 180-190 kph in SLEX and even take the 3rd lane (the shoulder for emergency parking, right most lane), not a single PNCC Traffic Enforcer will even bother to give you a ticket.

I made a record of 17 minutes from south toll way gate in Calamba City to Ayala, Makati City that time. Having to drive, like no fear of dying and car crash. I just love the adrenaline. It was every cager/driver stage, where you are on your first two years of driving, the need for speed. You tend to enjoy every bit of it, I didn't blink nor hesitated. I have my share of near death car crash experiences, no scratches on the car. I was just lucky, but during those crucial time where a wrong move can get me killed. It never gave me fear. I guess, I was young at that time, my reflexes is really good.

A friend from college did a crazy drive in around Marikina and Antipolo area, where because of the traffic on his lane, he transferred to the left most lane, left of the road island(the structure that separates lanes in major roads) where incoming cars full stopped, to avoid collision. If you have seen the movie Ronin (Robert de Niro movie) the car chases there, dodging head-on collisions, he did it long before that movie was made.

On two wheels on the other hand, adrenaline pumps at 140 kph, because it’s easier to die with two wheels. There is a difference between a speeder and a reckless driver/rider. A speeder loves speed, but he is more careful, he speeds in high-speed roads such as SLEX and wide roads. He transfers from lane to lane slowly and smoothly. While the reckless, changes lane abruptly, skipping a lane in between, swerving, tailgates, sometimes doesn’t use signal lights, even bother to look at his side mirrors or rear views.

Accidents are accidents; it’s unintentional, random, and unpredictable. It can happen at any moment without warning, even running at low speed. Its human error, machine error, computer error, nature, environment, and hazards.

A saying from a fellow rider at MCP, "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly" as I stumbled upon this awhile ago, I shook my head and got me to have this banter on thought. I thanked God; he assigned a guardian angel that can fly faster than me.

Anyway, since I got older than those days. It made me more responsible as a cager/driver and as a rider. Seeing the new generations of youngsters, driving and riding like mad on the road. I just nod, "if they survive long enough, they will get to realize as I did when they get old"

On the side I miss the adrenaline.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Adbox

2013_06_03_AFF_Mobiles_300x250

My Visitors